Wednesday 25 February 2015

Product Highlight: Texture paste and Black Sand

Hello peeps,

18 Sweet creations, hopefully there are a few more waiting to be uploaded. I hope you are all enjoying the new format of our challenges and also enjoying the Design Team tips, techniques and product highlights.
 
For my post today, I'm showcasing two wet media that I use very often in my mixed media layouts - texture paste and black sand. Most of the time I just use texture paste as is through a stencil, so this time I tried two new techniques and loved the outcome.


The base for my layout is tissue paper stuck on Kraft cardstock. Next I mixed texture paste with gesso and spread it on the layout leaving a border of about an inch on all sides. Using a brayer and palette knife variably gave a very interesting texture. When my last layer of paint was almost dry, I applied some more texture paste through the Prima crackle stencil to break the monotony of the painted background - exactly the effect I was after.


 
To give the background contrast, I wanted to introduce black. My go to technique for this is usually stamping with black archival ink. But, this time I used black sand mixed with black gesso for a jet black look on non- gessoed canvas (one of the layers behind the photograph) and also on a few places on the layout.

Here is the final layout.

Hope I've inspired you to try these media and if you already do, then, to try a different technique. Drop me a word or two on how you use them in your art work and Id love to read it.
 
Don't forget to link up your creations for the 'Love you Sweets' challenge by the end of this month - only 4 days including today.
 
Cheers,
Kripa
 
Supplies from the Lulupu Store
 

 

10 comments:

  1. I love your layout Kripa, stunning & such a perfect blend of colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your layout Kripa! It gives off such a beautiful vintage feel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful mixed media layout! Loved it Kripa! :)
    Cheers!
    Suchi xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the Vintage feel the LO has Kripa! Yet another stunner !! <3

    Hugs!
    Manu

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments and feedback.